Healthy Dinner is Served
Oct 31, 2015 09:30PM
Cauliflower Soup with Lemon and HerbsServes 8, Makes 12 sample servings
Ingredients • 1 large sweet onion, chopped • 4 cloves garlic, chopped • 1 tablespoon olive oil • 3 tablespoons yellow miso paste • 1 large head cauliflower, chopped into 2” pieces, stems included • 2 teaspoons lemon zest • ½ cup raw, unsalted cashews • 6 cups water • 2 tablespoons za’atar spice mix or dried herbs of choice • 1 teaspoon salt • 1 tablespoon EVOO – optional for garnish
Directions 1. In a large soup pot, sauté onion and garlic gently in olive oil until softened and fragrant. 2. Add miso paste and stir to coat onions. 3. Add cauliflower, lemon zest, cashews and water. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer until cauliflower is soft, about 15-20 minutes. Add water if necessary to keep cauliflower covered. 4. Remove from heat and let stand until cool enough to purée. 5. Purée soup in batches in blender – be sure cover of blender is on tight as steam from soup could pop lid. 6. Season with salt. 7. Ladle soup into bowls, sprinkle with za’atar or other herbs and drizzle with oil if desired just before serving.
Nutrition Analysis Per serving: Calories 92, Carbohydrates 12g, Protein 3g, Fat 4g, Fiber 3g, Vitamin A 1% DV, Vitamin C 99% DV, Sodium 576mg.
Quinoa Arugula SaladServes 8, Makes 12 sample servings
• 4-5 cups diced or cubed butternut squash • 1 tablespoon EVOO • Sea salt and fresh ground pepper to taste • 1 cup quinoa, cooked and cooled • 4 cups arugula, washed and spun dry • 2 cups asparagus, steamed and sliced in half on diagonal • 1 cup red pepper, chopped • 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved • ¼ cup raw pepitas • Salt and pepper to taste • ½ lemon, juiced
• 3 tablespoons white balsamic vinaigrette • 1 ½ tablespoons EVOO • 1 small garlic clove, pressed or minced • 1 teaspoon maple syrup • Sea salt to taste
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. 2. Toss squash with oil. Season with salt/pepper, place on parchment lined baking sheet and roast for 20 minutes until just soft. 3. Set aside to cool. 4. Add ingredients for vinaigrette to mason jar and shake vigorously. 5. Add salad ingredients to large bowl. Toss with lemon juice, dressing and serve.
Nutrition Analysis: Per serving: Calories 220, Carbohydrates 31g, Protein 6g, Fat 9g, Fiber 5g, Vitamin A 192% DV, Vitamin C 99% DV, Sodium 589mg.
Chickpea Spinach Burgers with Lemon Basil “Mayo”Serves 8, Makes 8 sample servings
• 2 tablespoons sesame seeds • 1 garlic clove, pressed • ½ cup celery, finely chopped • ½ cup carrot, finely chopped • ½ cup sweet onion, finely chopped • ½ cup frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry • 1, 15-oz. can chickpeas, drained and rinsed • ½ cup brown rice, cooked • 1 tablespoon Bragg’s Liquid Aminos [or other gluten-free soy sauce] • 1 ½ teaspoons curry powder • 1 teaspoon cumin • ½ teaspoon smoked paprika • ½ teaspoon salt • ¼ cup oat flour • Vegetable oil spray
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. 2. In a food processor, add sesame seeds, celery, carrot, and onion. Pulse until combined. Remove and place in bowl. 3. To the same food processor, add chickpeas and processes while pulsing the on/off switch until you get a smooth mixture with some chunks. Do not over process our you will be having hummus for dinner. 4. Add chickpea mixture to vegetables in the bowl along with rice, soy sauce, curry powder, cumin, paprika, and salt. Mix thoroughly. 5. Mix in enough oat flour to to form a stiff dough and knead for 30 seconds. 6. Form patties, place on a parchment lined baking sheet, spray lightly on both sides with oil, and place in oven for 30 minutes. Flip burgers and return to oven until browned. 7. Serve with Lemon Basil “Mayo”.
Nutrition Analysis: Per serving: Calories 159, Carbohydrates 28g, Protein 6g, Fat 3g, Fiber 5g, Vitamin A 60% DV, Vitamin C 9% DV, Sodium 516mg.
Lemon Basil “Mayo”Serves 8, Makes 8 sample servings, about 1 cup
• 1 cup raw cashews, soaked for 4 hours and drained • 1 teaspoon lemon zest • 1 tablespoon lemon juice • 1 teaspoon white balsamic vinegar • 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard • ¼ cup water • 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped • ¼ teaspoon hot sauce, optional
1. Place all ingredients, except basil and hot sauce, in a blender and process until smooth, adding more water a tablespoon at a time as needed to achieve desired consistency. Pulse in basil and hot sauce.
Nutrition Analysis: Per serving: Calories 119, Carbohydrates 7g, Protein 4g, Fat 9g, Fiber 1g, Vitamin A 0% DV, Vitamin C2% DV, Sodium 180mg.