Stay out of the Kitchen in the Hot Days of Summer
Aug 01, 2016 11:32AM
Collard Carrot Slaw
1 bunch collard greens, de-stemmed and shredded 1⁄4 teaspoon salt 1 cup red cabbage, shredded 1 medium apple, shredded 3 medium carrots, shredded 3 scallions, chopped 2 tablespoons raw apple cider vinegar 1⁄4 cup olive oil 1 teaspoon maple syrup 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds [pepitas]
Prep: 1. Remove tough spines and slice collards. 2. Shred red cabbage, apple and carrots. 3. Chop scallions.
1. Place collards in bowl. Sprinkle with salt and massage until soft. 2. Toss in cabbage, apple, carrots, and scallions. 3. Whisk together oil, vinegar, syrup, and mustard. Pour over slaw and toss. 4. Sprinkle with pumpkin seeds before serving
Banana Walnut Chia Pudding
- 1 medium ripe banana
- 2 tbsp unsweetened shredded coconut 1 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup unsweetened vanilla rice milk 1⁄4 cup chia seeds
- 1/4 cup banana, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- 1 teaspoon unsweetened shredded coconut
1. Add all ingredients, but chia seeds, in a blender and process until smooth. Pulse in chia seeds. 2. Place mixture into a covered glass bowl and let sit overnight or for at least 4 hours. 3. Serve layered with sliced banana, walnuts, and a sprinkle of coconut.
2 hothouse cucumbers, seeded and chopped but not peeled 3 red peppers, cored, seeded and chopped 8 tomatoes, mixed heirloom, chopped 1 small red onion, chopped 6 garlic cloves, minced or pushed through garlic press 6 cup quality tomato juice 1⁄2 cup sherry vinegar 1⁄2 cup quality extra virgin olive oil sea salt to taste
- Run each vegetable through food processor until finely chopped but not pureed.
- After each vegetable is processed, place in a large bowl and mix in balance of ingredients.
- Chill for at least 4 hours or overnight. Puree 1⁄2 of the soup and add back to bowl.
- Ladle into bowls and finish with some fresh herbs before serving.
Recipes are courtesy of Living Plate Nutrition Education and Counseling Center in Far Hills where Registered Dietitian Nutritionists and Culinary Professionals come together to empower you to reach and maintain your health goals.