Going Nuts for Nuts is Pretty Sane
Jan 14, 2016 03:26PM
Seasoning nuts with a variety of spices that have been shown to block the cancer-promoting signaling molecule Nuclear Factor Kappa Beta (NFKβ), make our first recipe a potent cancer-fighting snack.
Recipes courtesy of Kirstin Nussgruber, founder of Eat Holistic.
- 1 cup raw almonds
- ½ cup raw walnuts
- ½ cup raw pecans
- 1 cup raw brazil nuts
- ½ tsp celtic sea salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp chili powder
- ¼ tsp cumin powder
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- 1-1.5 Tbsp EVOO (extra-virgin olive oil, expeller cold-pressed)
- Toast nuts in a large skillet over medium-low heat, stirring often, until they begin to lightly brown and infuse your kitchen with a gorgeous aroma.
- Combine all spices in a little bowl.
- Toss the warm nuts with the EVOO, then add the mixed spices until evenly coated.
There are many different versions of this tasty Supersnack recipe. The one that follows is inspired by a recipe in “Kicking Cancer in the Kitchen” by Annette Ramke and Kendal Scott.
- 1 cup dried dates (Medjool are preferred)
- 2 cups rolled oats
- ¾ cups dried goji berries
- ½ cup cacao nibs
- 1 teaspoon chia seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ ground cardamom
- unsweetened shredded coconut flakes or dark cacao powder for rolling in
- Soak dates in water for approx. 10 minutes, drain water.
- Combine all ingredients in food processor. Mixture will be crumbly at first but develop into a more solid dough. You may need to add between 1-3 Tbsp of water.
- Using your hands, shape dough into little balls, can be stored in the fridge in a covered glass container for a week to 10 days.
For more information about helping your both outsmart cancer, contact Eat Holistic Founder Kirstin Nussgruber, CNC, EMB, at 908-512-2220. EatHolistic.com.